Economic investigation : variations of the prices of flights
- Investigation on the variations of the price of the flight London-Brussels (in euros)
- Flight London - New York (in euro's)
- Report: factors which have an influence on the price of flights
By analyzing the graphs, some factors which influence the price of flights can be found:
- The distance: longer the distance between the departure airports from the arrival airports is, the greater the price of the ticket will be. This factor could be considered as logic because longer the distance is, the more oil the airplane uses, and more the company has to pay for it. So the customers will pay this difference in the cost of their ticket.
- Company: The choice of the company can have a significant impact on the price of the flight. Some companies are cheaper than others (Ryanair is cheaper than British airlines). This difference is due to a correlation between the quality of the services and the efforts made by the company itself to lower the prices. They often use small airports where taxes are less expensive than others in order to make the ticket cheaper. They also often offer a limited choice of destinations; this choice insures that the company fills in all its planes because it creates scarcity.
- Airport chosen: as I have already said, some airports are cheaper than others because they do not offer the same advantages as their rivals. They are often far from the city and trains and tubes do not often reach them.