Comparative public law essay
- The theory of freedom of speech is conceptualised along similar lines in both France and Singapore
- The sources of freedom of speech
- The limits of freedom of speech
- The application of freedom of speech differs in France and Singapore due to their different contexts
- Different contexts Ppoduce different responses
Each and every one of us enters this world with a cry, and it is with this utmost fundamental expression of ourselves that we first convey to our parents our basic needs and wants, later expanding the scope of communication to friends and then the community. This is why speech?and thereby the freedom of speech?is so important: through it, we make ourselves heard as individuals, interact with others, and receive information that shapes our worldview in turn. I have chosen to compare France and Singapore because these two countries face the same set of problems vis-a-vis freedom of speech, including immigration and racial tensions. Yet due to their different historical trajectories and the particularities of their individual societies, they have addressed these problems in dissimilar ways.