A monetary Union in East Asia?
- The need for monetary and financial cooperation
- What integration for what region?
- Structural and institutional difficulties of integration
- Evolving financial and monetary architecture in East Asia
- History of Asian monetary cooperation
- Current areas of efforts
- Emergence of an integrative scheme? The Chiang Mai Initiative
- Beyond the Chiang Mai initiative: prospects for the future
- A yen Bloc in Asia?
- The Asian Monetary fund: Asian versus international?
We will first try to understand the reasons why Asia needs monetary cooperation and the problems it will encounter. Then we will take a look at the current areas of discussions and the various schemes of cooperation. Finally we will analyze the alternatives available that might emerge in the future.