Asia and the logic of the nations
- The relationship between Moldova and the EU: A retrospective look on a neglected country
- The ENP: Is it an adequate framework for Moldova?
- The case for the inclusion of Moldova in the Stabilization and Association Process
For a long time, specialists of national issues and the construction of the nation state have recognized the existence of only a few historical models of national development. Most often, they are five in number with France, England, Germany, Russia and United States. All states would then follow these models of national development. But the last two decades have highlighted the emergence of original national thinking in Africa or Asia, and this is the main focus of the study.
There is no debate on what essentially a nation is because it is a theoretical debate. Incidentally, this paper will look at philosophical analysis and political science as geopolitics. However, one must evoke the characteristics of the nation state, to understand the evolution of national logic in Asia, the conditions of its appearance and especially the future prospects.
The nation state is thus based on: The principle of sovereignty of representative institutions, centralized administration. It has a territory bounded by popular identification with the figure of the State. It is the last criterion of particular interest to us, and which is particularly crucial in the contemporary national logic, insofar as the administrative and territorial criteria have been almost completed by the colonial administrations. It can therefore be an ethno-culturalist approach to nation-building in Asia, which assumes that a pre-existing ethnicity has acquired its own sovereign state.
There is this confrontation with the European powers that Asian nations have developed: first, with Japan for obvious reasons (an island is an easily definable area, a centralized power is going to strengthen against the feudalism), then China's reaction. This then follows with a domino effect that leads to the "nationalization" of Asia. The nation is becoming a necessity for the elite to regenerate a strong state.
-Asia is both an area where the United Nations have strongly established, while the one in which globalization and regionalization are most advanced. Yet according to the concentration indices that are developed, we can observe a hegemonic development in this traditional multicolor Asia, particularly in economic and military terms.
- So there is also a circle and a refusal in respect of the West expressed in Asia: that feeling, it is found particularly in Japan (Ishibara), but also more recently in Korea and in other Asian countries.
- Yet there is a revolution in the involvement of Asian states in the international arena. But tensions remain high in the Asian region, particularly in the case of Japan: 71% of Koreans say as well as abuses committed by the Japanese army during WWII are still obstacles to relations between the two countries, and 49% of Chinese approve. Chinese films are popular in Thailand, but almost banned in Malaysia: cultural representations Japanese have long been prohibited in Korea, but are welcome in Southeast Asia.
-The rivalry between Japan and China seems to be turning in favor of the latter, especially in the cultural: the large overseas Chinese in Thailand, Malaysia or Singapore.
Tags: Asia; logic of nations; philosophical analysis; political science as geopolitics; evolution of national logic; future prospects