Search icone
Search and publish your papers
Our Guarantee
We guarantee quality.
Find out more!

Circumcision and the Sub-Saharan AIDS epidemic

Or download with : a doc exchange

About the author

Law Intern
Level
Advanced
Study
social...
School/University
Johns...

About the document

Cliff S.
Published date
Language
documents in English
Format
Word
Type
term papers
Pages
2 pages
Level
Advanced
Accessed
0 times
Validated by
Committee Oboolo.com
0 Comment
Rate this document
  1. Introduction
  2. AID in Africa: Mixed reponses
  3. Impact on the society
  4. Safe-sex education plans
  5. The research flaws
  6. The list of concerns about the study's recommendations
  7. Ethics

On April 7, 2006, I attended the Hopkins All University Seminar on Africa (HAUSA), and was especially interested by the forum and presentations about the African AIDS epidemic. The speakers came from a variety of academic disciplines, including epidemiology, nursing, anthropology, and biology. Before going to the convention, I had spent some time thinking of what I had learned or at least heard of about AIDS in Africa. I knew that the situation was fairly urgent and that teaching safe-sex methods was the main thrust of most of the effort, despite some cultural taboos forbidding open talk about sex. Even that information, regardless of its accuracy, was fairly vague.

[...] For instance, the treatment itself is a fairly expensive surgery (minimum $60 per person, plus the cost and challenge of promoting the treatment to the public), and even then only lowers the chance of contraction by at best - 60%. The remaining 40% chance is by no means a license for unprotected sex, although this misconceived sense of invulnerability could become popular. The bottom line is that even if circumcision were to reduce chance of infection, it is of no comparison to what safe sex can do. [...]


[...] Circumcision and the Sub-Saharan AIDS epidemic On April I attended the Hopkins All University Seminar on Africa (HAUSA), and was especially interested by the forum and presentations about the African AIDS epidemic. The speakers came from a variety of academic disciplines, including epidemiology, nursing, anthropology, and biology. Before going to the convention, I had spent some time thinking of what I had learned or at least heard of about AIDS in Africa. I knew that the situation was fairly urgent and that teaching safe-sex methods was the main thrust of most of the effort, despite some cultural taboos forbidding open talk about sex. [...]

Top sold for social sciences

Critically evaluating the ASPIRE model of social work

 Politics & international   |  Social sciences   |  Presentation   |  02/20/2009   |   .doc   |   7 pages

African Influence on Jazz

 Politics & international   |  Social sciences   |  Presentation   |  06/16/2008   |   .doc   |   3 pages

Recent documents in social sciences category

Death penalty: does the U.S. really need capital punishment?

 Politics & international   |  Social sciences   |  Term papers   |  09/12/2016   |   .doc   |   5 pages

Afghan women under the Taliban

 Politics & international   |  Social sciences   |  Term papers   |  09/09/2016   |   .doc   |   3 pages