Search icone
Search and publish your papers

Playboy Magazine vs. Maxim Magazine

Or download with : a doc exchange

About the author

Public Relations
Level
General public
Study
journalism
School/University
Temple...

About the document

Published date
Language
documents in English
Format
Word
Type
presentations
Pages
5 pages
Level
General public
Accessed
0 times
Validated by
Committee Oboolo.com
0 Comment
Rate this document
  1. At a recent lecture given to the NYU Department of Journalism, current Playboy editor Christopher Napolitano said the magazine serves to accomplish two main goals
  2. With respect to consumer base, males compose 80% of Playboy readers, with females composing the other 20%.
  3. Certain trends can be observed when looking at these figures.
  4. With respect to Maxim's circulation, the total number of paid and verified circulating issues in 2006 was 2,568,339.
  5. In contrast to Playboy's CPM, Maxim's appears to be quite higher.
  6. The content description found across the cover of Playboy really help highlight the difference in content found in both of the magazines.
  7. Generally speaking, the content found within Playboy, at least of the non-sexual nature, seems to be more sophisticated and intellectually stimulating than that of Maxim.
  8. The editorial love-affair with Kaminsky proves to be very interesting, as Playboy is now viewed as better able to compete with Maxim.
  9. I reviewed these four magazines as a 22-year-old woman, and do take an interest in men's issues, not to mention the fact that I also love looking at a hot girl.

A heated competition exists between Playboy and Maxim magazines, two internationally-known magazines aimed at the male pop-culture target audience. Playboy, a well established publication, has risen to the status of sex icon in the fifty years since it was created by Playboy Enterprises Inc. mogul, Hugh Heffner (Lazaroff, 2004). The magazine possesses a rich history of featuring celebrity model centerfold spreads and humorous editorials, and has served as a means middle-aged males could stay in step with the times. In 1997, United Kingdom-based Maxim was launched. The impact of this publication has been tremendous, to the extent that an article in the American Observer stated that ?The traditional U.S. men's magazine market has been under a British invasion for seven years? (Kay, 2005).

[...] The company describes the magazine as being ideal for the man's man kind of guy; essential guidebook for (Maxim, 2008). With respect to consumer base, males compose 80% of Playboy readers, with females composing the other 20%. The mean age of the average Playboy reader is 33.1 years, though 54% of its readers are in the 18-34 age range. The rest of the magazine's subscriber's fall into the 35+ age category. In terms of marriage status of readers reported being married, with the other 66% reporting being single. [...]


[...] Knowing that Maxim has a younger audience than Playboy, I expected to like it the most, but I did not. Knowing that Playboy is attempting to appeal more to a younger reader, I was especially looking to see if they are succeeding. I conclude that they are trying, and making progress, though Maxim still will likely continue to appeal to more young males and females than Playboy. I found that the old joke, read Playboy for the articles,? isn't so much of a joke. [...]


[...] Compared to Playboy, it appears as if much of the advertisements found within Maxim are aimed at a generally younger audience than the typical Playboy reader. This point is suggested by the high numbers of advertisements relating to cell phones, beer, and video games and systems. With respect to the cover presentation of the magazines, both Playboy and Maxim generally use much red, black, and white. With the magazine issues I analyzed, the word is boldly visible on each cover of each issue. [...]

Similar documents you may be interested in reading.

The male magazines: Market study

 Business & market   |  Marketing   |  Market study   |  05/14/2009   |   .doc   |   14 pages

Top sold for journalism

Six feet of the country, by Nadine Gordimer

 Arts & media   |  Journalism   |  Presentation   |  05/07/2009   |   .doc   |   3 pages

Maurice A. Bercof - The Art of Negotiating

 Arts & media   |  Journalism   |  Term papers   |  05/16/2009   |   .doc   |   6 pages